Sunday 11 February 2018

Is Social Media the new Counsellor?

Has anyone else noticed how they are so much more open online? About how they are feeling, what is happening in their lives and where they are with their mental health? It's almost as if social media has become a counsellor for so many people, myself included.
Why is it that we are all so much happier to open up behind a computer screen rather than turning to our friends and family for a good heart to heart chat, or asking a professional for help? We would much rather post an arty picture that shows a perfect life with a caption saying how hard we are finding reality. I know I am very guilty of this on a daily basis.

But should this been seen as a negative thing?
As I've said before I'm an extremely private person and find it very hard to completely open myself up to someone including family which should be my first turn. If I'm completely honest there are very few people who truly see the real me because I'm so scared of being judged for my dorky side.  However for me Twitter and Instagram are both places I can an go to escape, be who I really am behind a profile picture.
I guess thats how I want to feel about my blog too. For it to be a place I can come and type my deepest thoughts and be my true self without getting peoples opinions on my situation, just someone to listen and read and even reach out if they have been through anything similar or felt the same way as me. It's a great comfort to have people you've never spoken to before and will probably never speak to or meet again say ME TO.
We all feel alone at some point in our lives and I truely think that social media, like Twitter and Instagram are opening peoples eyes to that fact that we really aren't alone and we never have been.


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Cara Wood | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig